Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default Stereophonic Realism - a Tautology

In article ,
ST wrote:

On Sunday, 26 May 2013 04:51:42 UTC+8, wrote:
Gary E:

Be very quiet as you read this. Listen to whatever sounds you are hearing,
whatever they are coming from and which ever direction....

That is stereo! Where ever you are - in your house, on a commercial
flight, hanging upside down from a set of parallel bars, rowing a canoe
across a rapid, etc. - is stereo.

How can that be? Sound which originates from a single source travels into
your left and right ears. A violin or a person singing cannot be consider
stereo. However, when we playback the recordings in stereo we are listening
two identical violins or singers over the left and right speakers and it
cannot be correct but we accept that as natural.

Actually there aren't TWO violins or singers. Each mike is "hearing" the
same ONE violin or singer from two different perspectives - which is
precisely what your ears do when you are there. Each ear hears the same
violin or singer from a different perspective. It's likely not the SAME
perspective that the microphones hear, but it's close enough to give the
listener the illusion that he can locate that instrument in space.
That's stereo

There was two experiments conducted in 1957 and in the 70s to see if
audiences (3000 of them) could tell difference between live sound and
recording. The experiment concluded they couldn't. How good can the gears and
the recording be in the 50s?

Means nothing. Live versus recorded demonstrations going back to the
turn of the 19th century, using acoustical recordings and playback gear
came to the same conclusions.

Reference: Reed and Welch
"From Tinfoil to Stereo"