Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default What Can We Hear?

On Fri, 18 May 2012 16:27:58 -0700, Gary Eickmeier wrote
(in article ):

ScottW wrote:
On May 17, 3:48 am, "Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

The conversation is going to break down into hyperbole (or perhaps
already has).
Speaker design is a series of compromises and each design path has a
different set. Many of these are to address characteristics of
different rooms and/or listener preference.

I would agree that the choice of compromise is worthy of debate. I'm
not sure I would agree that the "perfect speaker" is omnidirectional
given the objective is to recreate a sound of an event in one location
in a completely different (acoustically) location.

Thanks Scotty. This is, at least, the beginnings of a conversation about a
difficult and controversial topic. Audio Empire is a great source - at least
it seems that way, from his writing, but I know not who he is, what
credentials he has, if that matters so much to him - but he seems to be
figuratively sticking his fingers in his ears, shutting his eyes, and
erecting Engineers Club, Members Only signs all around his cubicle. That is
not constructive, and avoids a lot of discussion that I was hoping he could
handle. I have run into this time and time again.

Maybe I am Chicken Little, making waves about a completely unimportant or
nonexistent problem.

That's not it at all. Your problem is, and I have said this before. From what
you have written, I have no confidence that you have even the slightest clue
about what you are talking about. You remind me of the guy on an "alien
encounters" type TV show who was trying to convince the viewers that an alien
atomic explosion, not a meteor, wiped out the dinosaurs. As "proof" he said
that the mounted skeletons of dinosaurs found in museums were all painted
with "lead paint" so that the museum's patrons wouldn't get a dose of the
radiation left over from that explosion. When he made that comment, I knew
that the guy had no credibility. First of all, and probably most importantly,
the mounted skeletons in museums are not the actual fossils anyway, because
being rock (not bone) they would be too heavy to stand-up in a mount. Display
skeletons are fiberglass "bones" made from the casts of the original fossils
(and the older ones are likely shellacked papier mache). Secondly not being
bone (it having long since disintegrated while being replaced with minerals)
would no longer be radioactive even if it WERE when the animal died. And
finally, were the "bones" radioactive, no coating of "lead paint" would
shield the patrons from the radioactivity. No, I don't know the guy who made
these outlandish claims, he might be a nice guy and a smart guy, but just
that from WHAT HE SAID, I know that he had no knowledge of the subject upon
which he was pontificating.

Maybe not. I do not have an engineering degree - but
that hasn't stopped a lot of "experts" in the field of audio who are making
products that have no real merit.

But you aren't selling a product. You are "selling" a theory, that from what
I have gleaned from you posts and your posted "white paper", you lack the
knowledge to actually be able to formulate.

Audio is a funny subject. It's like, it's
invisible and completely subjective, so you can say almost anything you want
about various aspects of it and you might sell something.

Sure, people sell green pens and funny looking free-form wooden sculptures
that when placed in the listening space, supposedly tame the room. People
also sell digital clocks that "miraculously" clean up the power line, and
exotic wooden blocks that, when set on top of components make them sound
"better." And the gullible buy these things and convince themselves that it
was money well spent. But people like me don't buy them because we know that
they have no scientific basis behind them and that they not only don't work,
they CANNOT work. Pretending that we don't know everything there is to know
about sound as a basis for these magic nostrums, might fool the untutored,
but those of us with a solid background in engineering and physics simply
know better.

I realize that I
need to "do the work" and prove some of my ideas with experiments with
armies of college students filling out forms, blind listening tests, and
testimonials from other "experts."

It might help if you could show a mathematical model of your "theories" and I
encourage you to do so.