Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] arunajayaratna@gmail.com is offline

Default Oppo BDP-105 vs. SONY SCD-XA5400ES

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 10:51:55 PM UTC+9, Andrew Haley wrote:
Audio_Empire wrote:

On Saturday, July 27, 2013 8:59:47 AM UTC-7, Andrew Haley wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:

In article ,

Andrew Haley wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:

This is all fine and good, and perhaps you can even hear "some*"

difference, but it still doesn't alter the fact that the Oppo in

question still uses the same SabreDac 32 which converts DSD to LPCM

before playing it,

I don't think so: according to their white paper, they feed the DSD

data into their anti-imaging filter, which runs at a very high

frequency. There's no suggestion that they downsample it to LPCM

first; or do you have some other information?

They use the SabreDAC 32. It converts DSD to LPCM. My information comes

from the Oppo Technical guy.

Hmm. Must be true, then. Under the circumstances, I think I'll go by

the ESS white paper. But even if it does, there's no reason to

suspect that doing so will cause any audible damage.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to have to run over to Oppo US

headquarters and talk with their technical guy again (they're about a

mile from here). What you say makes sense and the white paper

certainly points at what you say being correct.

It might just be a matter of terminology. Perhaps there is some

decimation going on. However, DSD runs at 2.8224 MHz and the

SabreDac's anti-imaging filter runs at "up to" 40 MHz, so the obvious

way to do it, if you had compute power to spare, would be to convert

DSD to DSD-wide (i.e. PCM-narrow) and feed it straight into the

filter.

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,
In your opinion, what would be the best choice for serious listening (Oppo 105 or XA5400ES)?. Any comments would be gratefully appreciated. I am not good with technical details.

Many Thanks in Advance
/Aruna