Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Lord Valve Lord Valve is offline

Default Speaker Matching transformers.

Phil Allison wrote:

"Lord Valve"

http://taweber.powweb.com/store/zmatch.htm

** Hmmm: from what I can find using Google, it's an E-core, multi-tapped
auto tranny in a box.

Yep.

Ought to work OK with valve / tube guitar amps - but maybe not so well
with bass amps.

Seems to be OK with guitar stuff.

I have one on my bench to match heads to my
bench speaker. Works great, but I don't know
how it would do at sustained high power. My
guitarist uses one occasionally, and he plays
fairly loud. No smoke. Yet. ;-)

And a definite NO NO with solid state amps, cos the core will saturate at
low frequencies and overload the output transistors, something fierce.

I only do tube amps these days, so I haven't tried it.

One guy here is Australia found using it interfered with the reverb sound
from his Fender.

??????

I wonder if he had the box sitting smack on top of his amp as shown in the
advertising.

It's a steel box, and the reverb tranny in the Fender is shielded.

I don't see a mechanism for coupling there, unless it's
through the spring tank, and that'd be pretty far away
from the unit in most Fender combos. Unless there's
interaction between the speaker leads going back
and forth to the unit and the reverb tank leads...???

LV