Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Audio Editor vs. DAW: Whats the Difference?

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 8/18/2017 10:33 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
The Audicy was a revolution, being one of the first systems I'd call a
"workstation."
Except with decent scrubbing with a knob on the keyboard that actually had
good response without a lot of lag, something I sorely miss on modern DAWs.

I remember the argument that Bob Lentini, developer of the SAW (Software
Audio Workshop) program made for not needing scrubbing because you could
see where you wanted to edit. I never agreed with him, and eventually he
added it to the program's features. Gotta hand it to him, though. It
came closer than the other programs of the day to offer everything you
needed in one place, and ran and worked faster than most.

A lot of people made that argument, and a lot of people continue to make
that argument.

And it's still around today.

And many of the other editing systems out there have equivalent functions.
ProTools has scrubbing from the keyboard, and while you can program a
control knob to send the scrubbing commands, the latency is kind of annoying.