Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Internet Radio Monitoring

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...

Gareth Magennis wrote:
Just curious, but I have an Internet Radio stream streaming pre-programmed
music via a French server.

There is a permanent listener from the USA, which turns out to be Amazon
Inc. 50.16.54.95

Why would they be doing this?

I think that is an amazon web services "cloud" machine, so it's not
actually someone at Amazon, but someone who is a customer of Amazon.

Ah, OK, a little bit of digging on the IP address makes sense now.
The provider is developing their own streaming platform, which apparently is
going to put all the data in "containers" which can be moved very quickly
around the web (cloud) to maximise efficiency etc. rather than the old
fashioned way of streaming everything from a physical server in France for
example.
It looks like this listener is indeed their own "cloud machine".

Since I have an unlimited bandwidth package, I am not paying for this extra
listener, so don't care. Other packages are pay as you go or limited data,
and this might be an issue there, but they probably don't attach such
packages to the cloud at present.

I would guess this this them beta testing their system as they build it.

Cheers,

Gareth.