Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Internet Radio Monitoring

On Friday, February 5, 2016 at 9:11:38 PM UTC-5, gareth magennis wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in messnix.com...

Gareth Magennis soundcom wrote:
Just curious, but I have an Internet Radio stream streaming pre-programmed
music via a French server.

There is a permanent listener from the USA, which turns out to be Amazon
Inc. 50.16.54.95

Why would they be doing this?

I think that is an amazon web services "cloud" machine, so it's not
actually someone at Amazon, but someone who is a customer of Amazon.

Maybe they're recording it all. Maybe they are scanning it for something
in particular. For all you know it could be the NSA.
--scott

I've had this stream running for over a couple of years now, and have just
recently moved to a new provider.

The previous provider was in the UK, and I had no permanently attached
listeners such as this.
The new provider actually asked whether I wanted to use the server in
France, or one in Canada, and I chose France as this was closer to home.
And now I have the Amazon leech permanently attached.

And yes, (the man rocks) as Admin for this streaming service, I get to see
the IP addresses of all those logged in and listening.
Which doesn't sit well with me, I must say.

But then this is how it is. You log on to something, and whoever controls
that is going to know your IP.
Use a Proxy Server if that bothers you.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Could we get a certain fan of mine to tune
in to your station, so we can get his IP
and put him out of business for good?