Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default Williamson by QUAD?

On Sep 4, 7:01 pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"Andre Jute"
Phil Allison

Acoustical in Huntingdon. (Acoustical was Peter Walker's company; it
was not called QUAD then; QUAD was the Quality Unit Audio, not a
suitable company name!).

** I read " QUAD " was short for " QUality Amplifier Domestic " ?

I was looking for the words from which the acronym was formed in my
archive of QUAD materials. I now wonder if they ever announced what it
stands for. The word "unit" is repeatedly used in the literature,
admittedly more often in the combination "control unit". I have seen
"Quality Unit Amplifier Domestic" but cannot now remember where.
"Unit" in this use may be what modern manufacturers more pompously
call "modular"; the QUAD was from the beginning intended to be part of
a *system*.

** Another explanation I read ( in an interview with Peter Walker,
IIRC ) was that Acoustical dubbed their
first hi-fi amplifier the " QADU " for " Quality Amplifier Domestic Unit
".

When genteel folk rang Acoustical wishing to order one of same, they
regularly failed to get the awkward acronym right - instead coming out
with all manner of weird variations. One such folk ( possibly a tad
dyslexic) explained that he wished to purchase a " Quad " amplifier.

When told the correct acronym, he was clear the letters spelled QUAD.

That neat variation was seen buy management to have merit, was adopted as
the product name and later the trademark of Acoustical.

Now this has the bizarre, somewhat edgy sound of truth!

Andre Jute