Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tubes
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Williamson by QUAD?

In article , Patrick Turner
scribeth thus

tony sayer wrote:

In article .com,
Andre Jute scribeth thus

The exact name hardly matters: the two important points are that the
QUAD brought BBC *quality* into the *domestic* setting.

Those were the days when quality meant something.. not anymore;(...
--
Tony Sayer

for famous brandnames is now toward international crappiness......

I do not value Quad-II amps very highly because I know just what they
are, old junk,
and nice old junk, but still junk, like an old Morris Major.

Still, the Willys Jeep Stationwagon my dad had was a strange wonder from
the USA; maybe a lot of WW2 jeep
parts lurked under the snazzy body work.... and finally
mum got a VW beetle in '63, the Germams were pardonned. It was far more
reliable than the Morris Oxford we had.
We sure never had a German Radio, or hi-fi set, until we got a made in
Oz Kreisler stereo gram with two 5 watt
channels, and bloody awful, but then it was at least 20dB cheaper than
anything by Quad
costing a fortune.

Patrick Turner.

Actually the comments were about the BBC where the accountants and bean
counters are running the place, with the usual results.

Quite right about some of the above it did take the UK a long while to
find out how to make cars as they ought, but then again some of the QUAD
gear is still around and in active service, where a lot of other stuff
has long been junked.....
--
Tony Sayer