bkluk7 bkluk7 is offline
Junior Member

Default PCM Stereo or DTS HELP

My Audio setup: Blu Ray player to 5.1 Yamaha Receiver via digital coax.

I realize that PC M is an uncompressed format that should sound better than DTS or Dolby Digital. However, while watching a Blu Ray last night, something didn’t sound quite right with the surround sound. Movie dialogue was alternating between the center channel and L/R speakers, and the SL and SR didn’t seem to be working correctly.

Upon troubleshooting, the blu ray PLAYER audio output format was PCM, but my receiver only detected/sent it in stereo (only the L and R speakers were lit on the display). When I changed the output mode of the blu ray PLAYER to DTS, the receiver detected/sent proper 5.1. When I went to the audio settings on the actual blu ray DISC, the primary/standard option (the only option in English and without subtitles) was 6.1 DTS.
I ended up keeping the blu ray PLAYER output format on DTS to match, and the surround worked.

I thought PCM was the new standard. If a DISC only outputs in DTS, is this correct? How do I get PCM surround? Is this only available using an HDMI cable?