Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Store vinyl vertical? horizontal?

"Carey Carlan" wrote in message

I stored my records upright, like books on a bookshelf.
My brother says that will make them warp--store them
horizontal.

I suspect vertical is correct, but I don't know why.

Any good references?

Geometry.

As has been correctly pointed out, vertical storage minimizes any bending
moments applied to the surface of the LP.

If you store LPs horizontally, the geometric situation is more complex.

For a long time LPs have been made thicker at the label than anyplace else,
so that the grooves won't slide against each other when the LP is played on
a traditional record changer. The edge of the LP may or may not be as
thick.

At any rate, when stored horizontally, there will be a distributed vertical
force due to the weight of the vinyl. The area of minimal support will be
forced downward, which will be resisted by the compressive strength of the
vinyl in the circumferential direction. This will create a set of buckling
moments which will tend to force the LP into something that looks like a
well-fried potato chip.