Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

Default Recovering Audio from CD with no PRE TOC and no TOC

OK lets go over this again..

The normal procedure is to hit record....record your audio, hit stop,
at which time a PRE TOC is written, then at the end of all sessions
you "finalize" the CD at which point a TOC is written. Now it is easy
to recover the audio if there is a pre TOC but no TOC i.e. a disc
where recording was stopped normally but was not finalized.

Now I have a CD that was being recorded and the power was pulled
before the stop button was pressed so there is no PRE TOC and no TOC.
The audio is there of course. Now I am not in a panic because I
used a procedure to recover the audio. The procedure is to record
another dummy disc with a full track of audio, hit stop so that a pre
TOC is written onto the dummy disc. Then I take that dummy disc,
load it into my playback machine (Phillips CDR560) and let it read
the pre TOC off the dummy disc. The pre TOC tells the machine that
the disc has a full track of audio. Then I carefully and slowly pry
open the door (shudder) and replace the dummy disc with the bad disc.
I can then play the audio on the bad disc using the pre TOC from the
dummy disc and recover the audio and record it to another machine.
OK fine I am able to recover the lost audio from a disc with no TOC
and no PRE TOC this way and I have done it successfully a few times.
This makes me happy and able to sleep well at night.

So I have a good procedure for this... but I am looking for a better
one. I don't want to have to pry open the door.

I tried using ISObuster but I could not get it to work. ISO sees any
tracks on the disc that have a pre TOC but is does not see tracks
without a PRE TOC. Even if a add another small track and pre TOC, it
still does not see the non pre-toc track. If I understand
correctly ,ISObuster needs the pre TOC. Is that correct?

This must be a common problem and there must be a better way to
resolve it.

So my question.....is there a more elegant way to recover audio from a
disc with no TOC and no PRE TOC? i.e. from a disc that was being
recorded when the power was suddenly lost.

thanks

Mark