Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Stereo receievers: THD of .04 vs. .08

wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote:
Considering that you will be listening through speakers with
10x or maybe even 100x more distortion, dunno how you
would tell the difference?

(That applies to ANY speakers, not just the ones you mentioned.)

Thanks. So the 10x to 100x part is what applies to any speakers?

I really didn't know that, nor did I, obviously, know what speaker
spec to look at to find out how much distortion a speaker provides.
THD

They don't generally even quote THD (or IM, or phase, or group
or any other kind of distortion) specs for speakers at all. But the
ones I remember seeing were much greater than 1% (and typically
greater than 10%, even). Note that Infinity doesn't even mention
distortion on the web page that describes your speakers. Very few
(if any?) speaker makers do.

That is why the general consensus is that you will hear a MUCH
greater difference between transducers (microphones & speakers)
and acoustics than you will between similar pieces of electronics.
I would not base a decision on 0.04 vs 0.08% THD in the power
amp.