Posted to rec.audio.tech
Damon Hill[_2_] Damon Hill[_2_] is offline

Default Stereo receievers: THD of .04 vs. .08

wrote in news:5799bc63-8a23-4f63-a665-ac974cbbe917
@j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com:

One salient difference is that the Yamaha claims a 0.04 THD, and the
Onkyo a 0.08.
I THINK I have a pretty discerning ear. Do you think that difference
in THD would make much of a difference between those two receivers,
using that one pair of speakers?

None whatsoever, at such low levels. At what power level were these
measurements made? I'd be a lot more interested at normal listening
levels (approx. 1 watt) and whether the distortion products were
low order or high order (suggesting high crossover distortion). A
simple percentage figure tells very little about sound quality.

--Damon