Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] david.dartley@gmail.com is offline

Default Stereo receievers: THD of .04 vs. .08

On Jan 9, 4:29*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
wrote ...

Thanks all for the advice on B Stock merchandise.

Okay, I'm scared to mention non-high-end or non-scientific stuff here
because of the flaming I once took from a forger, but here goes:

Just ignore the forgers, the idiots, and the psychopaths.

I think I've decided on buying a pair of Infinity Beta 50 speakers.

I'm among two receivers--a Yamaha 497 (75w per ch) and an Onkyo TX
8522 (100w per ch).

One salient difference is that the Yamaha claims a 0.04 THD, and the
Onkyo a 0.08.
I THINK I have a pretty discerning ear. *Do you think that difference
in THD would make much of a difference between those two receivers,
using that one pair of speakers?

Considering that you will be listening through speakers with
10x or maybe even 100x more distortion, dunno how you
would tell the difference?

(That applies to ANY speakers, not just the ones you mentioned.)

Thanks. So the 10x to 100x part is what applies to any speakers?

I really didn't know that, nor did I, obviously, know what speaker
spec to look at to find out how much distortion a speaker provides.