Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

Default Are all pigs...er... CCL positions equal? was 6J6 driving EL84

In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

On Dec 19, 12:17 am, John Byrns wrote:
In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

On Dec 18, 3:20 am, tubegarden wrote:
On Dec 17, 3:03?pm, Andre Jute wrote:

I suppose I could look it up, but we're short of something to discuss
on RAT. So, what is an "IXYS current source"?

Hi RATs!

http://ixdev.ixys.com/DataSheet/98704.pdf

Happy Ears!

Al

Thanks. Of course, since the regulator is drawn as one block, some
benighted person will argue that you are using ***silicon^&*()$£@! in
the signal path...

Isn't he?

Okay, the ultrafidelista, and others, say loosely that every component
can be heard. But some can be heard more or less than others because
of one or more of the intrinsic qualities of the component, the
relative quality of its manufacture or materials, and its relative
position in the circuit. It is this last factor, relative position in
circuit we want to discuss. A notorious case is the load capacitor in
parallel shunt feed SE output topologies, aka parafeed. (Abstracting
for the moment whether the ungapped trx or the cap is relatively more
to blame for any solecism in the sound.)

Notice that I distinguish in the headline between a constant current
load (CCL), which operates in the plate circuit, and a constant
current source (CCS), which operates in the tail of the tube.

It seems to me that the CCL might be a little more blameless, in that
the signal takes a right turn to either the next tube or the output
transformer before it reaches the CCL. It also seems to me that the
grunge of CCS silicon might enter the signal circuit via the ground
line without first being attenuated by the triode's inherent NFB.
Those are certainly impressive attenuations that Pete Millett
measured.

Of course, any or this will become a consideration only if the
residual noise of the silicon alters the quality of the noise as well
as the amount, which might come down to a fine psycho-acoustic
judgement; if there is no observable difference either by meter or by
psychological test, then we could just accept the noise reduction as A
Good Thing.

I'm too old to worry about whether silicon is bad on principle just
because some uncouth obsessive I have never heard of says so.

Andre, you are talking like you have lost it and gone over to the dark
side, like Arnie and that guy who worked at the Scottish bank whose name
escapes me. Next you will be regaling us with all the gory details on
your latest solid state amplifier designs.

Regards,

John Byrns