Stewart Pinkerton

Default transmission line bass

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 14:41:15 GMT, (ludovic
mirabel) wrote:

What I wanted to and obviously failed to communicate was that with
very little expense and skill one can get extraordinary bass
performance. The cylindrical lines I set up are amazingly efficient.

No, they're not. Let's knock this one on the head right away. Even at
their very best, true transmission lines *cannot* be more efficient
than an infinite baffle. I canna' change the laws o' physics, cap'n.

I had to equalise downwards BOTH sides. The left "only" 16db. down at
80, 50, 40 and 30 Hz. The right 30 db down *over two octaves*. And the
bass is clean incomparably better sounding than what came from the
closed boxes, properly Thiele measured for my 12" woofers.
If all these cylindrical tubes do is go hunting for "room nodes"
of that magnitude on both sides over two octaves then good hunting.
Everyone should have nodes like that.

Consider the above, and then consider what *must* be happening in your
room. Also, please note that even in 1/8 space, you *cannot* get more
than 18dB of room gain, and 12dB is a much more likely maximum. I
canna' change the laws o' physics, cap'n.