Scott Dorsey

reddred wrote:

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in message
GP,

it is roughly approaching a "round" floorplan. And I learned from

people
that a concave "round shape" is terrible for a room.

Round and similar shapes are a problem, but that problem goes away if all
the surfaces are covered with absorbing material. A small booth needs to

be
covered mostly or completely anyway, so with enough absorption on the

walls
that shape will be okay.

How big could you build a shape like this, assuming that the walls are
covered in Auralex or the eqivelant, before you would start to have a
problem?

Auralex will kill the high end issues, so your first problem is going to be
low end resonances.

If we figure that the foam becomes pretty useless around 500 Hz, then a
round room that is a wave across at 500 Hz is going to start being a problem,
right?

And that would be... what, about 32 inches?

Hmm... anyone care to try a better back-of-the-envelope calculation?
This doesn't sound quite right to me, overall.
--scott
(who thinks there is a special place in hell for architects who
design octagonal churches)