Rusty Boudreaux

Default Newbie Subwoofer questions

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote in
message
nk.net...
Rusty Boudreaux wrote:

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote in
message
k.net...

In reality it's not that big a deal. Most content creators
understand this and don't put any significant content above

80 Hz

or so in the LFE track.

So it doesn't do this in DVDA/SACD?

My knowledge of DVDA/SACD is limited. However, I assume they
don't have an LFE channel and wouldn't have this issue.

Oh - one more question:

Let's say you have a 5.1/6/1/etc setup and are listening to

movies.

Given that this low-frequency cutoff effect is in place, what

is
the point where such response is virtually non existant in the
surround channels? This might be nice to put in the FAQ as if
there is virtually nothing below 50hz, for instance, then

buying
large surrounds is a moot point - just shop for 50hz capable

bookshelfs
and ther you go.

I'm not sure I complete understand your question.

There isn't any issues with the surround channels. Surround
output below the crossover frequency is routed to the subwoofer
output.

There are many preferences to the size and types of surrounds
(direct radiating, dipoles, identical speakers all around etc).
For my setup I prefer dipoles. I set surrounds to small so bass
is redirect to the sub. In certain cases you can have issues
with multiple sources of bass. The small setting can also
increase their dynamic range since the speakers don't have to
struggle with the bass.