Rusty Boudreaux

Default Newbie Subwoofer questions

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote in
message
ink.net...
"Consumer decoders take the LFE signal and add any channels

in
need of bass management, as determined either by product

design
or user selection. The five main channels are then high-pass
filtered at either a fixed frequency of 80 Hz or a selectable
frequency of 80, 100, or 120 Hz. The summation of the LFE and

any
other channels is low-pass filtered at the same frequency. If

the
crossover frequency is fixed at 80 Hz, as is standard in

lower
priced decoders, information in the LFE channel between 80 Hz

and
120 Hz will be reproduced at a lower level than it is

recorded"

If one wanted the receiver to NOT do this "effect", what would

they
look for? A better higher-end model, or some specific

mode/technology?

If it properly decodes DD it will do this. It's a part of the
Dolby/THX licensing and there are technical reasons why it's
done. Some higher end preamps allow all sorts of interesting
configurations but I'm leery of their practicality.

In reality it's not that big a deal. Most content creators
understand this and don't put any significant content above 80 Hz
or so in the LFE track.

I've found for my system 100Hz works best in minimizing lost
content, sub/main integration, and non localization of the sub.

You can do as Arny suggested and connect an external crossover to
your mains for the sub and set the receiver to no sub.