Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

Default Explanation still required for triode superiority

In article ,
"Henry Pasternack" wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message
Got me where?

You directly contradicted yourself. Three days ago, you argued that the
nonlinear plate resistance of a triode with Vgk FIXED is proof of NFB at
work.
But yesterday, you stated the opposite, that NFB DOES NOT EXIST with
Vgk fixed. Which is it?

By your reasoning, if I have a common-cathode amplifier with an AC signal
on the grid, the output resistance of the tube will be low due to NFB. But
if I take away the signal, leaving only a fixed DC bias on the grid, the NFB
will disappear and the output resistance will rise dramatically. You and I
both know this doesn't happen.

By the way, did you know I studied EE in Frederick Terman's department?
He was professor emeritus, until he died, while I was at university. Some
of my professors were his former students, including a legend or two from
the "golden age" of tube radio, plus a good share of more modern legends.

The crucial question is did any of the wisdom of these giants rub off on
you while you put in your time there.

Regards,

John Byrns