Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default Vintage Pioneer SX-838 receiver- I MISDIAGNOSED !

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
I don't know why Willaim Watson Michael Dayton-Wright chose those

particular
switches. If you want to damn him, damn him for not installing the caps.

Yep I would, don't you?

As for the power amp... At the time it was designed, there was a lot of
arguing about slewing-induced distortion, TIM, and the like. (There were
tube power amps that suffered from these problems. Dig through your
early-80s JAES issues for an article about one.) The assumption was that,
the wider the open-loop bandwidth, the less likely TIM would be a problem.
So Lux used triple-diffused RF power transistors -- despite the common
knowledge that they could be blown by RF transients. That was the cause in
three cases where the output transistors blew -- not audio transisents.

And how trivial to filter RF from a power amp input. Even cheap amps do it
successfully without affecting the audio range.

MrT.