Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Will SACD die?

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:32:19 -0800, willbill wrote
(in article ):

Arny Krueger wrote:
"willbill" wrote in message

Will SACD die?

OK, 1st off i'm *not* trying to start a war!

anyhow, i just got my 1st HD player (a 3rd gen
Toshiba A35), and the HD sound isn't bad
(based so far only the included 300 movie disk)

given that there are probably already many
more HD players out there than there are
SACD players, will that cause hi-end audio
multichannel sound to switch away from SACD?

I think that DVD-A formats may turn up as compatibilty formats for HD
and/or Blu Ray players. It would just be a matter of relatively simple
decoding in signal processing units that are already pretty complicated.

SACD could get pretty dead pretty fast because it requires special laser
pickup assemblies because the initial content protection security is
implemented there.

assuming you already have either a Blu-ray player
or a HD-DVD player, one other question: is the
HD multichannel sound on those disks (either
Dolby TrueHD, or DTS high def, or "lossless"
5.1 PCM) comparable to SACD?

bill

I think I read somewhere that its comparable to 5.1 channels of Redbook PCM.