Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Decent quality wireless lapel mic system (used OK) $200???

On 5/2/2018 10:25 AM, wrote:
When I tried the system out in an empty medium-sized hall (200' x 200' roughly) I clipped the lapel mic 3-4 inches below my mouth. With the attenuation switch on the Tx OFF and levels turned up the whole way on the receiver and amp I could barely hear myself. When I uncliped it and held it like a handheld mic it had acceptable pickup. When I tried out the headset mics, they had excellent pickup and I could back the levels down to normal. So I'm happy with the Rx and Txs, just need better mics. I will research what is compatible with those transmitters to find out what options, if any, exist in the affordability range.

Are you sure that the lav mic that you got with the used system is the correct one for the transmitter? The manual for your wireless system is pretty lame, but I'm pretty sure that the official mic is a condenser mic that gets power from the belt pack. It's not phantom power, it's what's called "plug-in power" and it's usually around 3 volts. It's a standard so any small condenser mic that's meant for use with consumer-type equipment and has a miniature phone plug should work with the belt pack. The fact that the headset mic works OK suggests that the power exists.

Just as a point of reference, when you hold the lav mic in the same position as the headset mic, do you get about the same volume for the same settings? Or, vice versa, if you hold the headset 3-4 inches away from your mouth, do you still get a usable volume? Could be that there's just not a lot of gain/sensitivity for $100.

--

For a good time, call
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com