Bruce J. Richman

Default Classic records Vs. first pressings (Tube cutting amplifiers)

From: (Bruce J. Richman)
Date: 5/26/2004 7:25 AM Pacific Standard Time

I know that some that prefer digital have commented on the relatively
superior
sound quality that often if found on certain labels such as Telarc,

Reference
Recordings, Chesky, etc. While I have just a few CDs on these labels, my
limited exposure thus far makes me tend to agree with them. I suppose its
quite possible that some of these labels simply spend much more attention to
the engineering/mastering process.

Reference Recordings has produced some of the best sounding recordings I have
ever heard. Their CD transfers seem to be quite excellent. However their
recordings are analog and most of their catalog has been released on vinyl.
In
my comparisons I prefer the vinyl versions of thier recordings to the CD
versions.

I have quite a few of their recordings on vinyl, including, among others, the
various performances of Mike Garson, Fennell's "Pomp and Pipes" (organ
compositions), Airto Moreira's "Third Mirror", the Farnon soundtrack from
Horatio Hornblower, the Arnold overtures, etc. I also find their analog
recordings, of which I am quite aware, to be excellent. However, many of
their *later* classical offerings are not available in vinyl format, according
to the Reference Recordings website.

Bruce J. Richman