Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

Default Need in/on ear monitoring for elderly church service?

On May 16, 7:42*pm,
(Richard Webb) wrote:
Scott Dorsey writes:
This church is seriously suffering from sucky sound syndrome and has a
budget of a little less then nothing. The old folks refuse to sit
anywhere but in the back and the room is an pentagon wall and its 100%
brick for walls and floor with a big domed shape overhead that just
screws with sound. I think the reverb is louder then the source. The
combination is really the worst sound I've ever heard.

snip

You can't do anything about the flutter echo from the dome, but you
can get the speakers closer to the listeners so they hear more
direct sound and less reflected sound.

I'd do pew back speakers, that might be the only cure. *I"ve seen too many churches do the multiple new sound systems,
all with the same goal, getting the old folks to hear
better. *Sounds to me like that's your answer.

In extreme cases (big stone cathedrals for instance), pew back
speakers may be the only solution for good voice intelligibility.

YEp, and it sounds like this is one of those instances. *I'd forget every other suggestion, especially all the talk from
folks who aren't familiar with hearing aid systems etc.
THese might be an eventual addition to the system, either an induction loop or something else, but I'd really suggest pew back speakers, even for that not so hard of hearing.

Tell them that PA systems don't make anything sound better, they
just make things sound louder. *If the room sounds bad without PA,
it will sound worse and louder with PA.

rIght, but with pew back speakers the overall system level
doesn't have to be that ungodly loud, yet everybody can hear clearly. *IF that's the goal I'd forget anything else.

Regards,
* * * * * *Richard
... * Remote audio in the southland: *Seewww.gatasound.com
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site

Richard, Scott suggested that, I phone the people today and they love
the idea. That is what we're going to do in there and I'm sure it will
work perfectly. I really appreciate everyone's time. I love simple and
that really sounds perfect. Its the simple things that completely
elude me at times.