Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default MFA Magus preamp hum/buzzing sound

On Nov 5, 12:04 am, "West" wrote:
"Peter Wieck" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Nov 3, 11:39 pm, wrote:
I have a 1987 MFA Magus A2 preamp that a few weeks ago started making
a buzzing/humming sound from both channels on any source setting. It
is strongest in the right channel but audible from both. I have
swapped out the line stage tube (6DJ8) to no effect. I have verified
that it is the Magus because if the amps are on (MFA M75 monoblocks)
and the preamp off there is no noise from the speakers. I have also
tried removing the phono stage tubes to eliminate them as the problem
but again to no effect. The noise seems to start 20 or 30 seconds
after the preamp relay clicks on and after the amps warm up - in other
words, it doesn't start as soon as the amps warm up but maybe 20
seconds later. Anyone have any ideas regarding what the problem could
be and what I should do to fix it? Local technicians have little or no
knowledge about tube gear so taking it to a shop isn't an option. It
seems to be slowly getting louder over time so I need to fix it. The
noise level does increase as the volume or gains are turned up if that
helps. Any ideas?

Filter caps.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

I am not about to engage in a ****ing contest with you. My post was meant to
teach and be friendly since it appeared that the OP had little or no
experience in electronics.
OTOH, your post, Mr. Wiecked, was again designed not to edify, but to
poison the well in order to promote yourself. Nice going ###hole. How many
people are you going to chase away from this ng because of your
insecurities?
I'm a professional biomedical engineer and taught many college level
electronic courses while you are a pathetic net stalker.

unsigned out of utter contempt.- Hide quoted text -

West, you are the quintessential pillock. You make a post with bad
information in it with the sole purpose being to look as if you know
something. And in the context of someone who is not obviously familiar
with reasons for the problem described, bad information is _very_
dangerous. Despite your conscience-soothing warning. You and Andre do
share that characteristic of being invincibly ignorant much of the
time.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA