Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Gaming Tower too Noisy for DAW Use

On 12/6/2015 12:26 AM, Paul wrote:
Obviously the noise comes from all the fans they put on these
hot-running gaming computers.

What's a game without noise?

There are often options in the BIOS setup for changing or adjusting fan
speeds, and there are also hardware speed controls. You may be able to
get away with slowing down or stopping fans as long as things don't get
too hot when doing what you want to do.

I slowed down the power supply and CPU fans in my Mackie hard disk
recorders by putting 5.1v Zener diodes in series with their power leads.
They're still going strong after 15 years. I checked the CPU and power
supply exhaust temperature before and after the modification and it
hardly made a difference. One thing, though, is that the recorder does
only one thing, and does it all the time. Processing requirements don't
change from project to project, so there's no reason for it to go up in
smoke if I add one more plug-in or render a video file. A computer put
to use for multiple applications doesn't have that load stability.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com