Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tubes

Default Tube mono-block amp with SIX 6L6 outut tubes

wrote:
I found a schematic of a stereo amplifier containing TWELVE 6L6 audio
output tubes. But aside from sharing the power supply, it's two
mono-blocks with each having SIX 6L6 output tubes. Unfortunately, I was
not able to get any real detailed information on this.

I compared it to several guitar amp schematics which use FOUR 6L6 tubes
in push-pull parallel, and this is very similar. It just has 3 tubes on
each side of the phase, rather than two. The plates are all wired
together and cathode / grid components are duplicates to each tube.

They did use as bias adjust potentiometer on each tube, which I have not
seen on the guitar amps.

Obviously the purpose is to increase wattage output.

I'm not intending on building this, but it's interesting and makes me
wonder if someone could use EIGHT 6L6 tubes, or TEN?
(Of course adding more tubes mean bigger audio output transformers and
heftier power supplies.

Another question that comes to mind is the impedience of the primary on
the audio output transformer. Assuming I could find a transformer that
would handle the wattage, would the impedence be the same as those used
with FOUR 6L6 tubes, or would that change since there are two more tube
plates connected in series.

Anyhow, looking at this schematic makes me think that any PPP amp with
FOUR tubes could have more output tubes added, as long as power supply
current is available and a suitable audio output transformer is
obtainable.

The largest production tube MI amp I am aware of is the
Mesa Boogie 400+. It uses ( I believe ) 12 power tubes,
essentially 6 push-pull pairs ).

SFAIK, it exists only to compete with the Ampeg SVT.

I wouldn't want to lift it.

--
Les Cargill