Scott Dorsey

Default How in the hell do you mic a bagpipe???

In article ,
Ryan Richards \(Diesel Breath\) wrote:
???

What kind of pipe? Highland pipe, Uilleann pipe, or some of the other odd
ones?

For the Highland pipes, you put it in a big room and you mike the room.
Sound comes out of a bunch of different places in the instrument and you
need the room to mix them all up. You can also mike it outside in front
of a wall to get a good blend.

This is, of course, for recording. You don't need any sound reinforcement
with the highland pipes.

The quieter pipes are less hard to deal with because they are quieter and
generally start out with less harsh a tone. With the Uilleann pipes there
is really one pipe and one chanter, and all the sound comes out the front
except for one low note. Again, I think it's best to pull back and get
everything with one mike, but you don't have to get anywhere near as far
back and four or five feet is enough.

I have not see any good way of miking the Uilleann pipes for PA. Most folks
put a single mike between the performer's legs, pointed up, and this does
not work worth a damn. Putting lavs on the pipe and chanter gives you a lot
of thumping, wheezing, and banging. I've tried a pair of 441s on either side
of the performer pulled a little bit back, but these guys are usually dealing
with high stage levels playing live so leakage becomes a big issue.

The miniature Breton pipes are more or less the same problem for PA work.
I don't know anything about the Galician pipes, really, but if certain people
would show up to their gigs on time I might learn something about them rather
than sticking them in front of a 57.