Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default Questions on Levels

Randy Yates wrote:

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

In article , Randy Yates wrote:

If dBFS is defined as

dBFS = 20 * log_10(XRMS / (RMS value of full-scale sine wave),

where XRMS is the RMS value of the digital data stream, and you're
generating a "digital square wave," then you are wrong. The digital
square wave can go to +3dBFS as defined above.

dBFS has not got a damn thing to do with sine waves or reference levels
or anything in the analogue world.

Again, I'm not asking how it's not defined, I'm asking how it is
defined.

You guys have danced around this one all day. It's getting humorous.

It has ONLY to do with how far a digital level is below the point at
which the digital value reaches full scale (all bits on).

If you know what it means, and you're literate, then you should be able
to come up with a precise definition. I haven't seen one yet.

You have, but you aren't recognizing it, because it is not what you
expected it to be, Randy.

My Metric Halo converter has a wide range of available input
sensitivities. Set it to -10 and it can reach 0 dBFS. Set it to +4 and
it can reach 0 dBFS. For each of those conditions we can relate an
incoming analog signal level to a specific number of bits. Here's the
rub: in either case we can get 0 dBFS. In each case the corresponding
analog input level is quite different.

--
shut up and play your guitar *
http://hankalrich.com/