Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

Default Onkyo Sub shuts down

"Ted Thomas" wrote in message
news
I have started looking into the availablity of parts and new board. I hold
an extra class ham license and have built some kits in the past. I can use

soldering iron. I have just enough knowledge to really screw it up

Hey you're only $63 into it and, if it doesn't work, that money is gone
anyway. You've got much to gain and little to lose.

Today found if I turn the crossover knob clockwise until it stops and then
apply pressure it starts working. I am not sure if it is the variable
capacitor or more serous like I am chasing the correct frequency on a bad
board.

The crossover cap network is basically a low pass filter, if that variable
cap is not operating properly it can really screw up what frequencies are
passed through to the amp module. If you've got the equipment I'd suggest
injecting a 40-50Hz signal directly to the amp input and see if it works,
otherwise figure out the value of your variable capacitor and short it with
a cap in the middle of the range to see if you get sound. If you do,
replace the variable capacitor OR calculate your rolloff frequency and put a
pseudo-permanent cap in there and call it good.

A good place to start would be to buy a can of good contact cleaner and see
if you can get any into the works of that knob... it may just be dirty
contacts inside.

Dave

"Ted" wrote in message
et...
I bought a Onkyo SK10W sub on Ebay (yep first mistake) and hooked it to

my
Onkyo TX-SR303. After it is plugged into AC for about two minutes it

stops
amplifying. If I unplug and try it again it works another two minutes. I
switched to another subwoofer using the same wire and it worked fine. I
tweaked the crossover with no effect. Am I looking at a new amp board? I
have $63 in it as it sets. Fix or cut my losses?

Thank in advance