Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

Default Onkyo Sub shuts down

"Ted" wrote in message
et...
I bought a Onkyo SK10W sub on Ebay (yep first mistake) and hooked it to

my
Onkyo TX-SR303. After it is plugged into AC for about two minutes it stops
amplifying. If I unplug and try it again it works another two minutes. I
switched to another subwoofer using the same wire and it worked fine. I
tweaked the crossover with no effect. Am I looking at a new amp board? I
have $63 in it as it sets. Fix or cut my losses?

You have probably already followed a similar train of thought but here
goes...

How much does a new one cost?

How bad do you need it? I.e. how much money is an okay amount to spend to
fix it?

What diagnostic/repair skills do you have? Equipment to do the job?

Unless you're prepared to fix it yourself, you're going to pay upwards of
$50 per hour both to diagnose the problem, if it be diagnose-able, AND $50
per hour to fix it. Minimum. Plus parts.

How much is a replacement amp board from Onkyo? Is it even available?

There's any number of things that could be wrong with it. When you say it
"stops amplifying" do you mean the whole unit shuts down? Like you turned
it off? Are there any lights on it that would indicate the unit it still
powered on? There's all kinds of sensors the unit MAY or may not have which
would trigger it to go into protection mode. Might be a fault in the power
supply. Maybe your output transistors are too hot. Maybe a leaky cap is
letting DC voltage into your output stage. Maybe the whole amp is a
transformer, fuse, and one giant proprietary IC which, even if by some
miracle you could test, is not available as a replacement part.