Mike Rivers

Default Help Upgrading PC Please!!!

In article writes:

I don't know if it's common knowledge, but the XP CD has a buried option
called "File and settings transfer wizard" that can be of some help with
this. The idea is that you put the CD in the drive on your existing
system, fire up the wizard, and it creates a file that contains your
Operating System settings and your files (along with their locations on
the drive(s) ). You then run it again on your shiny new install of XP,
and it reinstalls the backup data. It's far from perfect, but it works
okay once you learn how to drive it.

The downside is that it wants to backup *all* your files

How does it do that? Does it keep asking you to feed it CDs? That
sounds like an all day project.

I don't know all the pitfalls, but I think what I'd be inclined to do
is to temporarily install the drive intended for the new computer in
the old computer, and use the utility that comes with just about ever
new disk drive to copy everything from the old drive to the new one
(including the OS and all the settings). Then, I'd put that clone in
the new computer, boot it up, and do an OS upgrade (if that's what I
wanted). This is what I did when I upgraded a computer (but didn't
change any hardware other than the disk drive) from Win95 to Win98 and
it worked fine. It was comforting to know that in case something
didn't work and I needed to use the "old" computer, I could stick the
original drive in it and be back to where I started.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )