Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Measurement Microphones

cedricl wrote:
I have a co-worker who had the really expensive Earthworks analysis mic. I bought the Behringer ECM8000 and loaned it to him so he can tell me the differences. He brought it back and said, "I wasted $350".

Which of the two totally different models of ECM8000 did you buy? Do you know?
What is the real response of your individual microphone?

The thing about these are... when you are buying cheap uncertified
"measurement" mikes like the Earthworks and the ECM8000, what you are paying
for is not the microphone but the calibration chart.

The calibration chart on the ECM8000 is absent. The calibration chart on the
Earthworks is acceptable but I do not believe it's NBS-traceable.

Is the calibration worth paying $350 for? Depends on what you're doing.