Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Measurement Microphones

Jay Ts wrote:
Do they actually publish a noise spec?

These comments motivated me to take another look at the spec sheet for
the Dayton EMM-6. They say:

Max. SPL for 1% THD @ 1000Hz: 127 dB
S/N ratio: 70 dB A-weighted

Personally I think it would be miracle if you managed to get either one of
those numbers consistently.

That looks pretty optimistic to me, but I went to the Primo website (a
result of Scott's mentioning of them) and they have some electret
capsules with much better specs than the average electrets I'm used to.
For example:

http://www.primomic.com/php/get_prod...hp?model=EM173

The Dayton and Primo specs both look a little too good to believe. I
contacted Primo to see if I can get some of their capsules to try out.

The Primo specs can be believed, and the reason why the quiet ones are
quiet is mostly because they use a conventional FET with external biasing
resistors rather than using a "FET-IC" with diodes fabricated on the surface
to act as bias resistors.