Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Measurement Microphones

"Jay Ts" wrote in message
"Scott Dorsey" wrote:
None wrote:
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

I sure hope these measurement microphones are good for recording,

Did you look at the noise spec?

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Tried to find it - what is it, 60 or 70 dB? Not sure exactly how they
specify that. I will just listen and see what it does.

Electret capsules are usually listed as about 60 dB, more-or-less. Just
that alone can make getting a clean recording a challenge. Also, you will
also have limited headroom of about 105-110 dB.

You need a source loud enough, and place the microphone at just the right
distance to maximize the SPL at the mic while avoiding overload.

A few times I've had luck by using a noise reduction plug-in on the
track. If you can get it to work, you might be quite happy with the
results! If not, try reviewing the prices for Shoeps and DPA mics.

Yes, thanks, you live and you learn I suppose. I just thought it would be a
normal microphone but with very flat response, one that is slimmer and
lighter than the AT2050s that I have.

Gary