Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

Default Ping STEPHEN

In article
,
ScottW2 wrote:

On Jun 2, 7:40*pm, Jenn wrote:
What speakers do you have other than the Quads that I've heard you speak
so highly of? *For everyone: *what used speakers would you look at for
around $1200 used or new?

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....&/QUAD-ESL-63-

How big is your room and what type of listening?

It's what should be a dining room, something like 12x14, without a wall
behind the listener (opens into the living room. Ceiling slops up
toward the listener, starts at 8' at the speakers, raises to about 10'
at the listener. Almost entirely classical music of all sorts. I want
it to sound great at the listening position. When it is just on as
background music for the whole house, the sound isn't critical.

I put my Quads out
in my pool room and they're kind of weak compared to my former set
up. If you can't sit in their ideal sweet spot, they just don't
sparkle. For casual listening I'd opt for something with more
dispersion.

That's what I've heard.

In that price range for new I'd consider some bookshelfs with a plan
to add a sub.
Paradigm S1s or Spendor S3/5 properly mated with a sub will compete
with any speaker system IMO. Getting better is a matter of
preference. Good luck.

Thanks for the ideas.