Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Default Preamp for my U195

wrote:
I just acquired a Soundelux U195. It will be used to mainly record
voices. Do I really need to get a preamp for it? Would that really make
a difference - what kind of difference? If so, what is the cheapest one
that I could get that would give me good results? Or can the U195 give
outstanding results without a preamp?

If you have a line input that you want to plug it into, you need a preamp.

If you have a mike input that you want to plug it into, you already have
a preamp. Whether you have a good one or not depends on what it is that
you're plugging it into. Needless to say the preamps built into a Midas
are somewhat better than those built into a Mackie.