Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default LAME conversion to MP3

wrote:

You are correct. The file uses ADPCM compression, I believe, so it is
not CD quality. It uses a bit depth of 4 bits, which is de-compressed
when playing to 16 bit.

ADPCM is not lossy compression at all, it is a sort of encoding method
intended to get more usable dynamic range with fewer bits but it's still
straight PCM... just not linear PCM. I had no idea you could do it with
as few as 4 bits, but 8-bit u-law encoding is typical telephone quality
today.

I would keep the oriiginal WAV file, but web browsers can't play this
particular type of WAV file.

Have you considered retracking this with proper encoding and microphone
placement?