Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default usb interface for recording classical guitar

On 12/5/2011 9:59 PM, nobody calls me this but annatar wrote:

how in heavens do i measure that? i do have a voltmeter??

You can measure the open circuit voltage by measuring
between pins 1 and 2 or between 1 and 3 (they should be the
same). Measuring it under load is a little trickier but a
good was to get an idea of whether the phantom powering is
feeble is to measure the voltage at one mic connector and
see how much it changes when you plug a mic into the other
connector.

This test is more significant if you have something like a
16-channel console with phantom on all channels. Plug in 16
powered mics and measure the voltage at the 16th connector
and see if it's still holding within 10% of 48v.

I looked through my notes for a review of the TASCAM US-122
that I wrote many years ago and oddly I didn't measure the
minimum input level for 0 dBFS digital output. It's
something I always do now since everybody complains about
not being able to "get a good signal." but the bottom line
is that (in most cases, with music recording) if you can't
deal with tracks that don't go all the way to full scale and
get good sound, you're doing something else wrong,

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff