Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default usb interface for recording classical guitar

On 12/5/2011 10:48 AM, chris ruth wrote:

So i got a focusrite scarlett 8i6. Have not tried it yet. Hope it
works

Well i tried it and it 'works' but i'm not happy with the sound.
I had to crank up the gain almost all the way to get a decent signal,

In that case, you won't like any of these units. They all
have about the same "gain" (input voltage vs. bits) and with
a quiet instrument, you will need to use full gain.

and it sounded kind of 'tin'-ey.

What mic? What position? What room? What guitar?

Now i know you would probably question that the tascam would actually
sound any better but i think it did.

In what way? I don't doubt that they sound quite similar,
but I don't think one would blow the other away.

Now i'm thinking the USBpre 2.

I think you'll find that it has more gain than any of the
"desktop" interfaces that cost half as much as the Sound
Devices. But if it gives you the sound you're looking for
and you feel comfortable with the cost, go for it. It's a
step up in "professional" from what you've been working
with, and that's always a good thing.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff