Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

Default Value of KLH speakers?

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 02:13:33 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
om:

snip

I don't deny that the music contains these higher
frequencies, but what I question is, what good are they if
one can't hear them?

You may not be able to 'hear' a harmonic the freq of which is
~18KHz, but you WILL hear the difference it makes in the overall
sound of the **complex** harmonic structure you perceive as a
"single note".

It doesn't and you won't.

I don't really believe it will either, but there is a great deal of,
"placebo" effect going on in a room full of very expensive and elegant
equipment, and so there is a "cult" of believers that are convinced that
there is some kind of magic going on that allows them to hear things that
aren't really there......I am, (by the way) not at all immune to this
placebo effect....I too, think the music is better, (even though I should
know better.) So, I may (and frequently have in the past) spend the money
and feed my own erroneous beliefs even though I should know better. But I
don't think I should be castigated for expressing my belief in physics. The
fact of the matter is, if you can't hear those upper harmonics, then the
music won't sound any better by the time it enters your brain, and if you
think it does, then you are being deceived by something else than what you
hear. Which is OK.....I like magic shows as well as the next person.....But
I still insist that they are nothing more than magic shows, and not real
magic.