Steven Sullivan

Default SOTA vinyl mastering

S888Wheel wrote:
I said

It seems they have sufficiently done so for some who have actually tried

them.

Steven said

Depends on what you mean by 'tried'.

Listened to a system with and without them.

That may be sufficient for you or Mr. Hoffman, but in this case,
it's not, for me.

I said

I'm guessing this in reference to Steve Hoffman. He is primarily a

mastering
engineer. He has done very little recording. IME his work has been

consistantly
excellent. I doubt that he is just getting lucky.

Steven said

Mr. Hoffman is probably very good at makign the sorts of mastering decisions
that almost certainly will affect sound of the product. That does not make
his
beliefs about stuff that almost certainly will not affect the sound, any
more believable.

How do you know the product in question will not affect the sound?

I was speaking hypothetically. But in the case of the Hallograph -- what makes
you think it *would*? I see nothing in the pseudoscientific stuff posted
to the site that indicates it would; I see nothing obvious in its construction
that would make it do anything like what it's claimed to do; and I don't
accept Mr. Hoffman's authority on this particukar matter, for the reason cited. So,
why do YOU think it is likely to affect the sound?

Steven said

In other words, suppose he swears
that adjusting certain midrange frequencies is key to mastering; and suppose
he also swears that a hallograph in the mastering room makes things sound
better. If the Hallograph in fact does nothing whatever to the sound,
his adjustments to midrange, which are indeed likely to be audible, will
still
be in effect.

You are assuming that the product does nothing. you simply don't know that.

I don't *know* that paint the walls red instead of white has no effect
on sound either. I don't *know* that shakti stones placed on top of your
speakers make them sound better. But I can make a pretty good guess
that they don't.

It
claims to be an acoustic room treament. Acoustic roomtreatments in general are
known to have an affect on the sound. This product may or may not. But you
can't judge that by looking at their advertising.

So far, ALL I HAVE is the advertising, and some testimonials. Neither is
in the least convincing. Nor can I come up with a way for this thing
to work anything like it says it does, based on what I do know
of sound.

Do you believe everything you read, Scott? Do you *ever* classify any
claims as unlikely, based on what you DO know?

*You* asked about diffusion and the Hallograph. Mr. Pierce has adequately
answered
your question.

No, he simply took issue with their advertising. It does not tell us anything
about what this product may or may not actually do. i still hold my position
that I would have to try them before having an opinion about their merits. Ans,
as I said before, they had better exceed my expectations at their asking price.

Would you hold off judgement on a perpetual motion device, until
you'd actually seen it work?

--
-S.