Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

Default Replace positive wire on HU?

On Feb 25, 12:16 am, (Captain Howdy) wrote:
In article om, "D.Kreft" wrote:

What does all of this mean? Doesn't the current drawn by the device not flow
into the device?

The original post inferred that the current was not *drawn* but rather
*pushed* into the device.

From what Edison would tell you, you can lower current
demand by jacking up input voltage. Europeans even bought into this idea.

From what Georg Ohm would tell you, if you jack up the input voltage

you will necessarily increase the input current given a non-regulated
or purely-resistive load. You can continue to crank up the input
voltage and the input current will continue to increase until
something lets out its "magic smoke" and the device presents an open
circuit.

Jacking up the input voltage in order to reduce the *need* for current
only works when transforming or "inverting" (converting DC to AC)...it
does not hold true in general, and even for those cases where it does
work, it will generally only do so over a finite range of voltlages--
go too high and you let the magic smoke out.

And let's not forget that in the specific case of a head unit, the
device in question is not purely a transformer or inverter--there are
also components in the device that operate on the unregulated DC input
voltage, so I stand by what I've stated.

-dan