Posted to rec.audio.pro
jeffreydesign jeffreydesign is offline

Default I need a way to stop my computer's noise

I build custom,specialty computers for rec.studios and while most
studios place their rack-mounted computers in a soundproofed wiring
closet with remote access, in some lower end installations, we build
'quiet' boxes for our machines. You can build your own box that will
work for little out of pocket. You don't have to be a master carpenter,
but you can build a plywood box to put your computer in and line it
with foam, but you MUST have air coming into and out of the box or your
computer *will* overheat. This isn't difficult to do.

Another option is to convert your computer to a 'fanless' computer -
there are power supplies (often the source of the most noise) that use
large heat sinks and 'heat pipe' type CPU/RAM/Video Processor
solutions. There are also water cooling solutions that work very well
without fans. It's cheaper to build a quiet box than to go fanless
however, and if you're demanding a lot from the hardware, I feel a lot
better using something to move a lot of air to keep things cool (even
with water cooling which we frequently use. The heat has to go
somewhere and you don't want it in the studio.)

karl wrote:
I have looked at boxes that you put your computer in to stop noise, but
they are very expensive. I was thinking of putting the actual computer
outside the room. I know that you would need something to amplify the
monitor signal though. Are these devices cheap and where can I find
them?