Jimmy The Clam

Default Echo Mia-MIDI with a Phono PreAmp or TerraTec DMX 6FIRE 24/96 With Software RIAA?

"Codifus" wrote in message
om...

I don't think this is a comparison between a phono pre-amp and
software. It's more like a comparison between a regular audio
stand-alone phono pre-amp verses the phono pre-amp inside the TerreTec
card. Hardware vs hardware. In which case, the one that sounds better
to you would win. The Terra card phono input is simply a phono pre-amp
mated to its 24/96 AD stage. I think there may have been a bit of a
compromise to add the phono pre-amp electronics onto that card. If it
was my choice, I would go with the separate pre-amp and an Echo card.
The purist in me likes that because Echo is a company that
conecentrates on just audio, and a separate phono pre-amp will
concentrate on being jsut one thing, a good phono pre amp. Compare
that to the phono pre-amp built into the TerraTec card. The TerraTec
card sounds like it wants to be everything for everybody. Built in
phono pre-amp, DTS sound, the works. Usually that means compromise.

CD

From what I can tell you have TWO options with the RIAA equalization with
the TerraTec card.
The onboard hardware solution that is inside the breakout box is not really
a consideration as I do think that would be inferior to a very good phono
preamp.
But I don't find anywhere on the internet any information comparing a
software RIAA equalization with an equalization done by a good phono preamp.
With older hardware from a just a few years ago, I would think that a
software solution would be seriously lacking because of the limited
processing power available and the necessity of off-loading every function
possible onto hardware from the CPU for performance reasons is, I think,
behind us. I don't really think (from reading the reviews) that the DMX
6Fire tries to be that much to too many people. True the Mia is pretty much
a sound only device, but the DMX 6Fire dumps a lot of traditional "gaming"
functions and seems to concentrate on just music but is also a much newer
card.

You are right, this is a contest between a good traditional hardware
solution as represented by a decent phono-preamp (typically in the $600 to
$1,200 range) and what is now possible in software.

The preamps I have been considering in order of price are the:

The Bottle Head "Seduction" kit (the build it yourself option)
http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobesp.../seduction.htm

Black Cube SE phono stage
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/blcubee.html

EAR 834P PHONOBOX