Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ed Presson[_2_] Ed Presson[_2_] is offline

Default Electrostatics, anyone?

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message ...

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 8:20:12 AM UTC-5, Greg Berchin wrote:

Perhaps. But audiophiles are often willing to go to great lengths for the
ultimate in sound quality. Why compromise here?

I might argue with the last six letters after Audio - but that is neither
here nor there. What is relevant (in my opinion) is limiting technology vs.
open technology. If I manufacture a speaker that is open to many sorts of
driver (amplifiers), I am enabling my customers to make choices that
*include* my speaker without *excluding* the customer's existing equipment.
So, I am opening options to that customer.

In any case, when I heard my first pair of planar speakers (Accoustat), I
was impressed enough to consider them as compared to AR 11s. But, when I
heard my first pair of Maggies, that was that. My brother has those
Accoustats in a small room with good proportions, and they do exceedingly
well. That room is the size of my hobby room today. The Maggies FILL a room
that is 17 x 26 x 10. Yes, I have a brute-force amp driving them, but it
could be any-of-several.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I apologize, but I've lost the earlier thread in which you identified which
Maggie you are using, and whether they are still made today. Have you heard
there most recent top-of-their line?

Ed Presson