Posted to rec.audio.tubes
flipper flipper is offline

Default What is this matched quad of new RCA 6L6GC tubes worth?

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 21:02:50 -0700 (PDT), JimK
wrote:

On Friday, August 31, 2012 9:23:50 AM UTC-6, JimK wrote:
I want to sell these to help finance buying a new amp. Looking on Ebay I see they are not the holy grail RCA which are the black plates. Mine have gray plates, the flashing on top not on the side, RCA is on the glass, not the base, and 6L6GC is on the glass but not in the stop sign like the black plates. They are really new, given to me by an engineer in the research lab I worked in in 1990. The boxes (red and white, not red/white/black like black plates) are new, and the pins are obviously new.

So I'm disappointed these are not the holy grail tube and wonder what they are worth? Are they close to as good as the black plates? If they won't bring much maybe I should keep them for my McIntosh and Fenders if they are better than new tubes?

Thanks for your advice.

These are new. I can include a link to a youtube video of them being tested. Would that help? But I don't know how to do that, ebay prevents links.

Thanks.

RCA hasn't made 'new' tubes for many decades. You mean New Old Stock
(NOS).

Sellers who do usually provide details of the test device and the test
results, like "tested with my Hickok Model Bla-Bla," etc. The smart
ones also give what their tester says is minimum good to 'new' so the
reader has a basis of comparison with the test results.