Bruce J. Richman

Art wrote:

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote in message

And as another questionable tactic, the Republican Secretary of State
appears
to be trying to disqualify voters in several predominantly Democratic
counties,
such as Broward (Ft. Lauderdale area) for the following petty
technicality -
not checking off a box on the voter registration form in which the
registrant
affirms he is a citizen of the USA. This would not be a problem, except,
as
has been widely reported in local newspapers, many of the se registrants
have
SIGNED THE REGISTRATION FORM IN WHICH THEY SWEAR THAT THEY ARE CITIZENS OF
THE
USA. Therefore, trying to use the fact that they overlooked checking a
box off
in whch the same information is required is obviously just another attempt
decrease voter registration, especially in counties such as Broward which
have
in past elections voted in significant majorities for the Democratic
candidates.

Sorry Bruce, you are having a major loss of common sensehere

Sorry Art, but you've committed a serious error in assuming facts not in
evidence. Your premise is seriously flawed, since nothing in what you're
responding too re. voter registrations (as described above) ha anything to do
with African Americans per se. Since none of this has anything to do with
African Americans per se -]i.e. the Florida Secretary of State's efforts to
disqualify voters who failed to check off a box on the registration form, your
comments are not relevant in this case.

What you've done is apparently confuse my comments about Governor Jeb Bush
trying to delay and/or block the restoration of voting rights to felons that
have completed their jail sentences and are now free. That population is
predominantly African-American, but this has nothing to do with the other
scenario re. voting registration forms.

You seem to be saying that African Americans are particularly inept at
checkin off boxes, compared to other people, and yet, they suddenly
become competent when they read the affidavit at the bottom of the form.

You've misread what I've written and somehow managed to confuse the
African-American population of ex-felons (which Gov. Bush has tried to block
from getting their voting rights restored) - with the voting registration form
fiasco concerning the Secretary of State - which deals to some extent with
counties such as Broward which are heavily democratic.

It just so happens that the only thing that the 2 populations have in common -
i.e. African-American ex-felons and voters blocked from registering in certain
counties because of minor registration forms mistakes (later corrected via
sworn signature) - is that both populations tend to vote Democratic.

Read what I said about the registration forms and the Secretary of State again.
Where is there any mention of African Americans? Answer - there isn't.

You are saying that those (apparantly mostly African Americans)
who are too inept to read the information on the registration form regarding
checking off the box, somehow happen to know exactly what they are doing
when they sign and swear teh affidavit that they are citizens!!!

See my comments above. You've made a signficant, serious error in confounding
the 2 separate scenarios I described concerning possible elimination of voters
from the 2004 elections.

As John Kerry & John Eedwards said in their recent debates, "More of the
same"
is what can be expected from the Republicans, it would appear.

Bruce J. Richman